#14 The Book of Mark - Gratitude Toward God

 Mark 1:32-34

And even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed of devils.

And all the city was gathered together at the door.

And he healed many that were sick of divers diseases and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him.

Word travels fast in a small town especially about miraculous happenings.  The ministry of Jesus had begun in earnest.  It would never be the same. He and His miracles would be sought after by multitudes from now on. 

He healed many and many more came wanting something from Jesus.  I wondered how many really benefited spiritually from being healed physically.  Prayers are easy to come by when the storms roll in, but when the storm is passed, the gratitude is reasserted as something achieved by yourself.  I've done it many times.  I have prayed and prayed for this illness or this or that, and when I get it answered, I 

My dad had cancer.  It was bad.  We had our church praying and several other churches praying for the success of his treatment.  I told him that and he was so grateful, it seemed.  He got better. The treatment worked. Praise God.  Over time he recovered from all the treatment.  He got to take his boat out fishing again.  God had given his life back to him. 

After some time I heard him talking to someone about his experience and heard him talking about how HE beat cancer, and how you just got to be tough and more or less knuckle your way through it, like he did.  There was no gratitude left.  

I felt a cold chill run up my back and somehow I could feel it. "Please God, don't remove your protection.  He is just a prideful man. Please.  A week later he was out fishing when his urine turned to blood.  Back to the hospital and he died shortly.  

Revisiting those times makes me reflect upon   gratitude toward God.  May I  I never forsake the gratitude and go my merry way taking credit for myself, forgetting the gift and the Giver.   In prayers answered yes and those answered no, may I never forget to praise Him for all he has done and all He will do.  In Jesus name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hundred Years Old

Step Up to the Privilege

I Have Jesus Even When I'm Invisible