#9 - The Book of Mark - Follow Me; No Buts

 Mark 2: 16-20

"Now as he walked by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.

And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.

And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him. 

And when he had gone a little farther there, he saw James and John his brother, who were also in the ship mending their nets.

And straightway he called them: and they left their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants, and went after him


Five verses and three begin with and.  That seems to convey a sense of continuing motion.  It doesn't suggest a ponderous enterprise in the calling of his closest disciples.  Jesus didn't hesitate to ask and Peter, Andrew, James, and John did not hesitate to accept.  This is quite different from what occurred in Luke 9:60 :  

And he said unto another Follow me.     But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.  

In  Luke 9:61: Another said "I will follow thee, but let me  first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. 


"Let me first before I follow" was their reply However he calling was and always will be, "seek ye first the kingdom of heaven and all these things will be added unto you.

Consider the difference in Mark 1.  The future disciples were all busy and maybe a little worn out.  They were in the middle of something important to their livelihood "And straightway they left their nets and followed him."

"And straightway he called them: and they left--." 

There were not "buts" from the chosen, only obedience.  They didn't ask questions, make excuses, or look back.

Again, from Luke 9:62: And Jesus said unto him No man, having put his hand to the plough, and look back, is fit for the kingdom of God.


In the days ahead, am I going to be looking back or will I straightway leave my nets and follow an uncertain physical future to follow a certain Savior, seeking first the Kingdom of Heaven?

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hundred Years Old

Step Up to the Privilege

I Have Jesus Even When I'm Invisible