(2) The Book of Mark: John the Baptist


Mark 1:2-4

 "As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare the way before thee.

The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the ays of the Lord, make his paths straight

John did baptize in the wilderness and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. 

The voice of one crying in the wilderness, John the Baptist, telling it like it is and is to be. A herald in some ways to the beginning of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: the good news for a fallen world.  John the Baptist was telling people about Jesus before Jesus arrived on the scene.  Who told you about Jesus before He arrived on the scene in your heart?  I remember a young man I got to know and like in one of my college classes.  I wasn't a Christian at the time.  One day I made an offhand derogatory remark about Jesus and Christianity, and he became quiet.  

I know now it took all his courage but when he looked at mee again, he witnessed his faith in Jesus and encouraged me to do the same.  I was taken aback, offended, angry, and we parted as friends that day.  Now, decades later I thank that John the Baptist in my life.  Like it or not, I could deny Christ, but I couldn't deny my former friend's commitment to Him.  That made it real and gave me pause to reflect upon this man called Jesus and what He might could do in my life as well.  

As Christians are we crying in the wilderness called this fallen world to herald our Jesus into the lives of others?  God grant me the courage of that young man long ago who witnessed to me.  In Jesus name Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hundred Years Old

Step Up to the Privilege

I Have Jesus Even When I'm Invisible