(6) The Book of Mark A Well-Pleased From God

 Mark: 1: 10-11  -  And straightway coming up out of the water, he say the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him. 

And there came a voice from heaven saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.  


I had never really taken it in how Jesus CHOSE.  He didn't have to accept His calling. He didn't have go to the cross.  But He did, and God was well pleased. And Jesus was affirmed of His calling and His choice by the Father, by the voice coming down from heaven and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him. It wasn't a falcon or eagle. It was a dove, a bird of peace.  He wasn't coming to overthrow the Roman occupation of His homeland.  He was coming to overthrow the bounds of sin and separation in the lives of those who chose Him. He came as love.  This wasn't going to be what most expected, not even John the Baptist, I would imagine.  

It was a big step; a step into rejection, persecution and it was His first steps to the cross.  A hard choice but thank God He made that choice.   And God was pleased that Jesus had accepted His calling.

And I wonder about myself.  Do I strive to please God, to accept my own calling, no matter what?  When I have counted the costs, have I said it is asking too much?  I have said "no" to God many times but am I ready now to follow Him, counting the costs and still be willing to leave the comfort of my Nazareth to be baptized into the life called has called me to.  Have you left something on the table when it comes to serving and pleasing God?  Take me down into the water and lift me up Lord that I may live to earn  a "well pleased" from God.   Amen 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hundred Years Old

Step Up to the Privilege

I Have Jesus Even When I'm Invisible