Running in the Rain - God is Near, God is Here

Over the years, running has always had a spiritual aspect to it.  And, some of the most memorable runs were in less than desirable conditions.  I still remember the run my son and I had on a country road when a storm of sorts came in.  It wasn't lightning too bad but the wind was blowing fiercely and the rain was pouring down.  A driver just happened to come by and asked if we needed a ride.  It was very nice of him since we were soaking wet and would have gotten the interior of his vehicle wet.  

But we were having fun; a strange kind of exhilaration that difficult situations can induce.  We thanked the man extensively, and with a small smile and shaking of his head, he rolled up his window and drove on.  

I've had other great runs in the rain, but none lately.  The elder years find me more tame than I like to see myself.   However, like so many others my age, I seem to find a way to keep passion and risk at bay by doing the same things the same way.  But not today. 

Rain and storms were forecast.  The skies were foreboding, and the fresh damp air stirred something inside that said, "Go for a run in the rain."  I set out onto the road, but it was not raining yet.  The skies kept threatening but it didn't rain.  The wind blew, and thunder roared in the distance but it didn't rain.  But the run was going well, and I would take that. 

On the way back home, I felt a sprinkle.  The rain got heavier and heavier.  I passed a pond and could see that large drops were falling almost like chunks of hail, but it wasn't, just solid rain.  I straightened up and large drops piled upon my face.  Yes, I remember now. I felt close to being myself. And, after several weeks of less than closeness with God, I felt Him near.  

The song by Wes Hampton came to mind.  The lyrics. "He is here,. He is here Amen."  The rain poured upon me. And God's spirit renewed within me.   Indeed, He is here.  He's close again.  I prayed thanks.  It feels like Home again.  Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hundred Years Old

Step Up to the Privilege

I Have Jesus Even When I'm Invisible