True Home

As a child I once got lost in the woods. It is hard to remember it now but I do remember the fear upon realization that I was indeed lost. Things looked differently. Nothing seemed familiar. Finally I came to a gate that I had never found before in my other adventures in these woods. When I looked across the pasture past the gate, there was a strange old house. In my young mind I wondered if it were a witch's house. Then the conflict: I was lost and this was the only sign of civilization that I had found in seemingly hours of wandering around in the woods. I had to take the chance, but I would be ready to run back to the woods if things got bad at all.

As I left the gate and the woods and walked cautiously toward the old house,little by little it began to come back to me. As I began to come to myself I realized that the gate that I had come to was the one I opened to go into the woods to begin with. The old house was no witch’s house. It was my Grandmother’s house where I was staying: home. I had been lost, confused, my perspective altered, filled with fears, until I realized I was coming home. I was lost but now was found. Like the prodigal son in the pig pen, I had come to myself, began to see things in a truer light and found the way home.

How many prodigals in this world are lost, confused, filled with fears, with altered perspectives to the extent they can’t recognize their way home. Their former faith and hope in God has given way to trying to find their own way home. Yet, at the end of themselves they find they are still lost in a wilderness, with all seeming strange and unfamiliar. It will be dark soon and at the bottom of it all they know they are in the wrong place, only going around in circles: lost out there in the wilderness of life, aimlessly, fearfully wandering, not knowing where they are going or what they should be looking for. They only know that they desperately need to find a way back home.. And, as they begin to come to themselves; no longer blinded by the world, they begin to see with new eyes and experience that old, steadfast warmth vividly experiencing true Home in the Love of the Father and the Son.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step Up to the Privilege

A Hundred Years Old

I Have Jesus Even When I'm Invisible