I Have Jesus Even When I'm Invisible

My wife died you know?”  The one-time British sailor squinted up at me through ninety year old eyes as if to see if I were going to listen before he went on.  There was pain and need in those eyes.   “She was beautiful too; pretty as a picture; pretty as a picture, and played the piano like an angel.  Sixty years we been together.  She was beautiful.  Played the piano like an angel.  I miss her you know.  I got nobody now.  People don’t care about old folks like me.  They don’t even seem to see me.  It’s like I am some  kinda piece of garbage or something cause I’m  old and worthless now.  I miss her you know. She was beautiful.  Played the piano like an angel.”

I am not too far from old and worthless myself.  Some say I am already worthless.    And for all the times I have gutted out races; all the times I have raised my arms in joy at some finish line,  for all the awards I have won and all my other moments of accomplishments, projects completed, gardens raised, pastures mowed; despite all the hard work I have done, there will soon come a time when I won’t be seen either.  All the things done in my life won’t be worth listening to by a younger , trendier world.  I will be passed over like a crack in the sidewalk.   I will be essentially invisible, encased in only my own world consisting of what memories I can recall. But that’s OK.  I am at peace about it.

My invisible days won’t be alone.   I will have Somebody;  my Faithful Friend  will be with me when the world goes on without me.  I have His blessed assurance which – like the song says – “the world didn’t give it and the world can’t take it away.”  I have Jesus.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step Up to the Privilege

A Hundred Years Old